Enjoy the post and then scroll down and add the link to your blog post to join in on my first-ever blog hop.
All right, all you sweet and thoughtful husbands…have you decided what to buy your wife for Christmas yet? Start making those lists!
And wives, if you’re reading this, kindly suggest to your husband to read this post – it could make your Christmas much merrier.
- Ok, here is some helpful and humorous advice from a veteran wife of 21 years…
Disclaimer: these are just generalities and some wives may like the items on the “do not buy” list. Plan accordingly and good luck!
Do not buy your wife:
1. Something she doesn’t want, but that you would like. For instance, don’t buy your wife a new (or gently used from the wrecking yard) car muffler for Christmas, unless she’s a mechanic or big into NASCAR. Lon bought a loud muffler thingy for our Jeep Cherokee years ago that sounded like what would belong on the vehicle of a high schooler. Guess who drove the Jeep 99.9% of the time? Yep, me. (And no, I wasn’t a high schooler!) Guess what happened when we went to trade the Jeep in for a bigger vehicle once we started our family?
The thing was so loud that the car salesman told us we needed to “fix” the loud muffler before trading it in. Lon finally did convince the car salesman that the muffler wasn’t broken, but that it was a ”high performance bought- and -installed- on- purpose- muffler.” Now some other poor wife is driving a Jeep that you can hear from a mile away!
Nix the new car tires too. While that’s nice that you want your wife to be safe, instead save it as a “family purchase” rather than a “gift for the wife purchase.”
2. Clothing. Husbands, unless you know your wife’s correct size, stick to a gift card at her favorite department store instead. Here’s why: If you buy her a size that’s four times her actual size, she’ll think you think she’s fat. Alternatively, if you buy her a size four times smaller than her actual size, she’ll think you think she needs to lose weight. See how this is a lose-lose situation? So, unless you know for sure that she always wears a size medium in sweaters, please pass on the clothes. Otherwise, you may find yourself in deep trouble with your sweetie poo.
3. A toolbox. When Lon and I were first married, he wrapped a large present and hid it under the tree. I was so excited and couldn’t wait until Christmas. Imagine my suprise when I opened the package and it was a toolbox complete with my own set of tools! I thanked my sweet husband for his nice gesture, but I was puzzled. I’ve never been very handy with tools and the farthest thing from a “fix-it girl” there ever was. Our story landed us on the pages of Woman’s World and the toolbox remains in the garage where Lon uses it on a regular basis. Disclaimer: this is a perfect gift only if your wife is the “fix-it type.” Otherwise, please pass on this gift idea!
4. A kitchen appliance. Unless she specifically asks for it or you can tell from her look of anguish at the toaster you received for your wedding gift 45 years ago, keep away from kitchen appliances. Ditto for mops, a years’ worth of cleaning supplies, a garden tiller, a chainsaw, or a lawnmower. Just trust me on this. Really.
5. An exercise video. Does this one really need any explanation? Also, unless she asks for that new treadmill, pass on the expensive (or not-so-expensive) exercise equipment too. You and your marriage will be glad you did.
So, as a wife, what tops your Christmas list? My post next week will list 8 great (and more serious!) suggestions of great gift ideas for wives.
And now, I’m so excited to be a part of my first-ever blog hop! A big thank you to Katherine at Katherine’s Corner for allowing me to be part of this fun and fantastic blog hop. I’m thrilled to discover new blogs and catch up with some old friends. I invite you to join me.
Here are the details…
- Remember to Follow Your hostesses- Katherines Corner, Sew Crafty Angel, Cuddlebug Cuties, Over 50 Feeling 40, Vintage Mama and The Tablescaper
- Please leave comments when you visit
- Please Link to your favorite things post post and not to your blog
- Linkback on your post ( optional, but always appreciated)
- Grab the hop button code from The button page ( optional)
- No adult content blogs
- No links directly to your shops or websites selling things/services please! ( sorry they will be removed)
- Yes you can link giveaways ( they are everyone’s favorite thing) Add your giveaways to the Giveaways Page too!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list. (You will be directed to a Linky page to enter your blog post link. It will then show up on six different blogs. To find out which blogs those are, please go to the Katherine’s Corner website mentioned above).